Engineers Canada is dedicated to working with partner organizations to attract and retain Indigenous peoples in the engineering profession and support the careers of engineers who are Indigenous. To accomplish this, we have identified initiatives to attract greater numbers of Indigenous peoples to engineering, to raise the profile and improve the image of the engineering profession within Indigenous communities, and to support participation in programs designed to encourage Indigenous youth to enter STEM fields.
Indigenous Peoples’ Access to Engineering
Engineers Canada works to promote a profession that is representative of society and, therefore, Indigenous peoples’ access to engineering is a priority for Engineers Canada. By developing a diverse workforce, ingenuity and creativity in engineering will thrive. To accomplish this, we aim:
- to attract Indigenous peoples who have graduated from engineering programs to become licensed members of the provincial and territorial engineering regulatory bodies
- to encourage Indigenous youth to consider engineering as a career
- to ensure labour market needs are met
- collaborate with the Assembly of First Nations and has signed a Statement of Partnership.
- work with a volunteer committee made up of leaders with experience in Indigenous peoples’ access to engineering.